Through a lot of trial and error, I finally figured out what video encoding settings in Handbrake 0.9.4 produce video that will play on my Blackberry Curve 8310. Here’s the settings I used to produce working video, broken down by options or the tabs in Handbrake:
- MP4 File
- Checked Keep Aspect Ratio Box will automatically set properly proportioned Height.
- Video Codec:MPEG-4 (FFmpeg)
- Two-Pass Encoding box checked (to improve quality)
- Average Bitrate radio button checked @ 768kpbs
- Audio Codec: aac (faac)
- Mixdown: Stereo
Any options I have not listed were left to the default settings. The video produced by this is perfect quality for a screen as small as a Blackberry. I’m not a videophile, though, so your mileage may vary. As far as speed of the encoding, a 44 minute episode of House ran through a Two-Pass encoding in about 9 minutes on this system.
Hello I recently downloaded handbrake 0.9.4 and also have a blackberry curve 8310 and want to get some movies on my phone and some questions for you. I use software to record video from my tv/slingbox that puts the video in a .asf format…i then want to take that video and put it on my 8310.
1. With your settings you mention that options you have listed you kept as default. What about the presets on the right side of the handbrake page? Do you select iphone/i pad touch preset or another as I don’t. see any kind of blackberry preset.
2. After you are done converting do you just used windows to drag and drop the file into your blackbery? I use blackberry desktop software 126.96.36.199 and even though it says that .M4v is a supported format for the desktop software it will not let me sync any videos that i converted with handbrake. It will show the video in the desktop spftwre but will not let me check it to sync it.
3. Most importantly even with using your encoding settings i still have audio/video sync issues. Especially the longer the video goes on the sync gets worse and worse…any suggestion on what encoding settings i would weak to eliminate the sync issues and how i would go about that.
please feel free to email me back at the email i provided in the ‘leave a reply’ mail section
Thanks Jerry, works like a charm, I found that I could reduce it all the way to 384 before I started to notice degradation but thats just my eyes.